In many cases, when applying for status adjustment, a medical examination is required. The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) designates certain physicians to perform these medical examinations.
Dr. Craig A. Stevens is a designated Civil Surgeon by the USCIS. He can perform physical examinations, verify immunizations, order chest-x-rays when needed and administer most vaccines when needed. He can complete Form I-693.
Requirements and Cost
After January 1, 2010, Dr. Stevens’ office can schedule immigration physicals on any day that he has a one hour opening, but no exam can be scheduled on a Thursday as all patients must return in 48-72 hours to have the TB skin test read. The total cost of the examination for patients 15 years of age and older is $353.00. This includes a physical examination, a review of immunizations, a blood test for syphilis and applying the TB skin test (PPD) and reading the TB skin test 48-72 hours later. The total cost of the examination for patients younger than 15 years of age is $303.00 as the blood test for syphilis is not required. When calling the office to schedule an immigration physical, please provide us with the following information:
- Social security number (if you have one)
- Last and first name, and middle initial (if any)
- Telephone number
- Date of birth
- A credit card number will need to be provided for a non-refundable scheduling fee of $103.00 that will be credited toward and subtracted from your total fee on the day of your examination
Immigration patients will need to bring the following to their examination:
- Government-issued photo identification (i.e. driver’s license or passport) for everyone, regardless of age.
- Immunization records, if you have them. If you don’t have immunization records, blood tests to check for immunity to various diseases like chicken pox, polio, hepatitis, measles, mumps and rubella may need to be done, but the blood tests will cost additional money. If you need a tetanus/diphtheria/pertussis (Tdap) booster or other vaccine, they can be administered at the time of your examination, but they also cost additional money. The blood tests do not require you to fast and can be done in the office after your examination.
- Form I-693 (either from your attorney or from the government’s website), the identifying information in Part 1 should be completed in capital letters, but DO NOT SIGN or date the form until told to do so by the civil surgeon.
- The balance of the total fee ($353.00 less $103.00 = $250.00 for patients 15 years of age and older; or $200.00 for patients less than 15 years of age). This balance can ONLY be paid in CASH. A patient will need more cash if the patient needs additional blood tests for immunity testing and/or additional vaccines.
- Additionally, you must be able to return to see Dr. Stevens two-three days following your examination to have the TB skin test read. The time to return to have the TB skin test read is between 11:30AM – 12:00PM or 4:30PM – 5:00PM. Once all requirements are met, you will be given a sealed envelope with the completed forms as well as a copy of everything that goes into the envelope.
Forms and Information
PDF File: Applicant Agreement
All patients presenting for Civil Surgeon examination must read and sign the attached Civil Surgeon and Applicant Agreement.
PDF File: Immigration Examination Fee Schedule
The attached fee schedule is current as of January 1, 2016. The fees/cost of the examination, testing and/or vaccinations are not usually covered by insurance and must be paid in cash, before any services are rendered. All fees are subject to change without notice. Contact the office for the most recent fee schedule.
PDF File: Required Testing
This document provides general information about several of the required tests that must be conducted in compliance with a standard immigration medical examination.